The Law Offices of John R. Alcorn, APC

Free initial telephone consultation 949-751-6574

April 2016 Archives

EB-5 visas as a way to immigrate

Some people who want to immigrate to California are able to do so by using the EB-5 visa program. This type of visa is reserved for foreign investors who are able to invest at least $500,000 or more in job-creating business ventures., and it can provide an eventual path to citizenship for those who qualify.

Family immigration issues

Family immigration in California may involve children or spouses. For parents who are in the U.S. on visitor visas when their children are born, the children will automatically become citizens at birth unless the parents are in the country while serving as foreign diplomats.

Lottery for those seeking H-1B visas

The H-1B visa program has proven so popular that the number of applications for the 2017 fiscal year exceeded the limit within the first week of filing for the fourth consecutive year. Employers in California and elsewhere around the country will now have to await the results of a lottery before they know if their petitions have been accepted. The process could take up to 10 business days, based upon the results from previous years.

Naturalization petitions filed under the VAWA

California residents may know that the immigrant spouses of U.S. citizens or permanent residents may apply for naturalization, but they may not be aware that they may sometimes seek a green card even if their marriages have not endured. Immigrant women hoping for a marriage-based green card were once at the mercy of their American husbands, but the Violence Against Women Act of 1994 put contingencies in place to protect female victims of domestic abuse.

  • American Immigration Lawyers Association
  • State Bar of California | California Board of Legal Specialization
  • Avvo
  • Orange County Bar Association
  • Irvine Chamber