The Law Offices of John R. Alcorn, APC

Free initial telephone consultation 949-751-6574

Employment Immigration Archives

L-1A visas for foreign executives and managers

International companies may be able to transfer foreign executives or managers to a U.S. office by helping them to secure an L-1A nonimmigrant visa. If a company does not yet have a U.S. office, the L-1A visa may be used so that a foreign manager or executive can come into the U.S. to help establish a new affiliate office.

A look at the requirements for foreign media immigrant visas

California residents with an interest in issues surrounding temporary visas may want to know more about a certain type of immigration visa. This visa allows those working with foreign media companies to enter the country; however, there are specific requirements that must be met in order to be approved for entry.

Applying for special immigrant religious worker status

Religious workers often find that their work takes them across national borders to California and other areas of the United States. They are often eligible for special visas that allow them to live in the U.S. if they are planning to continue their religious work within the country.

Applying for permanent resident status through job availability

As some California residents who are interested in immigration policies may know, citizens of other countries may apply for permanent residency in the United States based on employment. A backlog exists for certain categories used in this process. An EB-3 applicant's family may apply for admittance as the spouse or child of an employment-based worker.

How to obtain a B-1 visitor visa

All citizens of foreign countries must obtain a visa in order to travel to California or the 49 other states through a national port of entry. If they are not traveling to the United States for pleasure, they will need to get what is called a B-1 visitor visa. These types of visas are to be used for such things as professional conferences, contract negotiations, or educational purposes.

On 'regional centers' and what they mean for investor visas

A few weeks ago, we wrote a post about the different types of investor visas that are available. The specifics of each type vary, but in a general sense, it is safe to assume that if you want to obtain an investor visa, you will need to make a significant financial contribution to a commercial enterprise and/or have that investment create a certain number of jobs.

When considering an investment or business visa, consider us

The advent of the internet and its continued and unending proliferation has changed the world forever, and in many ways that is a good thing. The world got "smaller," in a sense, allowing people from all over the world to communicate and exchange ideas. This is very important in a social sense, but it's also important in for business and collaborating on ideas.

Being I-9 compliant and the importance of dealing with I-9 issues

Any employer in this country has to file I-9 forms on behalf of their employees. I-9 forms have to be filed out for every employee regardless of whether they are in the country on a visa or if they are a citizen. Essentially, I-9 forms are a system of verification both for employers and employees. U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has been using the I-9 system in recent years to crack down on employees are employers who are not compliant.

We can help you during your employment visa application

Let's say that you live in a different country but you want to live in the United States. You're holding down a steady job in your home country, but you also believe that your skills would be of tremendous use here in the U.S. So you look into obtaining an employment visa so that you can move to the U.S. However, you are overwhelmed by the options. There are so many different employment visas out there that it would be understandable if you had no idea which visa to pick.

  • American Immigration Lawyers Association
  • State Bar of California | California Board of Legal Specialization
  • Avvo
  • Orange County Bar Association
  • Irvine Chamber