Questions About DACA?
The recent June 2016 Supreme Court decision (United States vs. Texas) does not at this time impact those who currently qualify for the existing 2012 DACA policy. However, the injunction on DAPA does apply. For questions about this and how it applies to your specific situation, please reach out to us as soon as possible.
While the DREAM Act has not yet provided relief for immigrants, deferred action is a stopgap measure that allows for two years of relief from possible removal, with extensions available beyond that.
Deferred action also provides for a temporary work permit that is valid for two years and is renewable at the end of the two-year period. In order to be eligible, one must meet specific factors. Those who are eligible for deferred action are individuals who:
- Were under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012;
- Came to the United States before reaching their 16th birthday;
- Have continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007, up to the present time;
- Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making their request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS;
- Entered without inspection before June 15, 2012, or their lawful immigration status expired as of June 15, 2012;
- Are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a General Education Development (GED) certificate, or are honorably discharged veterans of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States; and
- Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.*
If you believe you qualify for deferred action, we are prepared to put more than 30 years of experience and our board-certified expertise to work for you. By partnering directly with our clients, our attorneys have helped hundreds of individuals and families work through immigrations in the most efficient and effective way. At The Law Offices of John R. Alcorn, we are here to help you do the same. We encourage you to reach out.