The Law Offices of
John R. Alcorn, APC

Call to schedule a consultation

Se Habla
America's Premier Full-Service

6 work visas for the United States

On Behalf of | Oct 1, 2023 | Employment Immigration |

Dreaming of working in the United States? You are not alone. Every year, thousands of people from around the world aspire to work in the U.S., drawn by its diverse job opportunities and unique experiences. In fact, the Council on Foreign Relations estimates that the United States issues almost one million work visas each year.

However, before packing your bags and embarking on this journey, it is important to understand the visa options available to you.

1. H-1B visa for specialty occupations

The H-1B visa is for professionals with specialized knowledge in fields like IT, engineering, mathematics and more. To qualify, you need a job offer from a U.S. employer and must meet specific educational or work experience criteria.

2. L-1 visa for intra-company transferees

If you already work for a company that has an office in the U.S., you might be eligible for an L-1 visa. This visa lets managers, executives and specialized knowledge employees transfer to the company’s U.S. office.

3. O-1 visa for extraordinary ability or achievement

For individuals who have significant achievements or skills in areas like sciences, education, business or sports, the O-1A visa can be an option. This visa requires you to demonstrate your exceptional abilities through awards, media coverage or other recognized achievements.

There is also an O-1B visa, for individuals who have shown extraordinary ability in the arts, television or motion picture industry. As with the O-1A visa, these individuals must have proof of their achievements through media recognition or awards.

4. E-1 and E-2 visas for traders and investors

If you participate in significant trade between your home country and the U.S. or plan to invest a substantial amount in a U.S. business, you might consider the E-1 or E-2 visas. These visas are specific to countries that have a treaty of commerce with the U.S.

5. J-1 visa for exchange visitors

For those looking to gain work experience or training in the U.S. as part of an exchange program, the J-1 visa is a good fit. This visa is for teachers, interns, trainees and even au pairs who want a cultural and work experience in the country.

6. H-2A and H-2B visas for temporary or seasonal workers

If you are seeking temporary work in the U.S., like in agriculture (H-2A) or other seasonal jobs (H-2B), these visas might be suitable for you. They require an offer from a U.S. employer and have limits on their duration.

The U.S. offers a variety of work visa options to accommodate the diverse needs of aspiring workers from around the globe. Remember, always ensure you meet the visa requirements and provide accurate information during the application process. With careful planning, your dream of working in the United States can become a reality.


Can We Help You ?

Contact Information


17752 Mitchell N
Suite H
Irvine, CA 92614
NUMBERS :Local: 949-751-6574
Fax: 949-553-8550

Irvine Office Map