The Law Offices of
John R. Alcorn, APC

Call to schedule a consultation

Se Habla
America's Premier Full-Service

3 things to do if you lose your job on a work visa

On Behalf of | Apr 8, 2024 | Employment Immigration |

Losing your job while in the United States on an employment visa can be a stressful and overwhelming experience. Not only did you lose your job, but you also have to deal with the effect of that loss on your immigration status.

There are 3 key things to do if you lose your job while in the country on an employment visa.

1. Understand the grace period

Most employment visas, such as H-1B and L-1, allow for a grace period of up to 60 days following the loss of your job. During this time, you may remain in the United States and seek new employment opportunities. You need to understand the specific requirements and limitations of your visa category to ensure you do not overstay your grace period.

2. Explore new employment opportunities

Once you lose your job, start exploring new employment opportunities as soon as possible. Reach out to your professional network, attend job fairs and apply for positions that match your skills and experience. Your new employer will need to sponsor your visa, so communicate your visa status and requirements upfront.

3. Consider alternative visa options

If you are unable to secure new employment within your grace period, you may need to consider alternative visa options. Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible for a different type of visa, such as a student visa or a visitor visa. Research the requirements and limitations of each visa category to determine which option may be best for your situation.

The uncertainty of unemployment is worse when you depend on a work visa. These steps will help you protect your status in the country.


Can We Help You ?

Contact Information


17752 Mitchell N
Suite H
Irvine, CA 92614
NUMBERS :Local: 949-751-6574
Fax: 949-553-8550

Irvine Office Map