The Law Offices of John R. Alcorn, APC

Free initial telephone consultation 949-751-6574

Irvine Immigration Law Blog

Policy changes made regarding green card holders who join the military

Among the desires green card holders here in the U.S. may have is a desire to one day become an American citizen. What routes and options a given permanent resident would have regarding pursuing U.S. citizenship can depend on their circumstances. Immigration lawyers can advise green card holders on what their particular situation would mean for the goals they have. This includes any goals related to U.S. citizenship. They can also assist green card holders with navigating naturalization issues specific to their situation.

When it comes to the naturalization process, one group of green card holders that can receive special treatment are those who are serving in the U.S. military. Receiving a “certification of honorable service” in the military qualifies a permanent resident for expedited naturalization.

US will collect social media information from immigrants

There is no shortage of immigration news in recent months. In late Sept., the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced a policy to review social media and online usage by immigrants with personal residency status and even some naturalized citizens. The data collection begins on Oct. 18.

The new policy follows a pilot program focused on fiancé visas after the mass shooting in San Bernardino in 2015. There were similar discussions of applying the requirement to foreign visitors earlier this year.

New immigrant protections signed into law in California

An immigrant can be full of worries when they are facing deportation or are in a situation where they fear they could end up in deportation proceedings. An important thing for individuals in such situations to know is that there are protections and rights immigrants have here in the United States. Recently, new laws were passed in California aimed at establishing additional protections for immigrants in the state.

Nearly a dozen immigration-related bills were signed into law in the state last Thursday. They touch on a variety of subjects. One is aimed at halting growth in the use of for-profit immigration detention centers. Others add new protections for immigrants in the workplace, schools and housing.

Suspension of H-1B premium processing now fully lifted

Time can be of the essence for a company when it comes to filling a given staffing need. Delays in a business being able to bring a prospective hire on board could impact the hiring’s ability to achieve the company’s workforce goals. So, one of the concerns a business may have when navigating immigration issues related to hiring a foreign worker is how long the process will end up taking.

There are various things that could cause employment immigration matters to take a fair deal of time. The processing of petitions can sometimes be a lengthy process. Also, certain mistakes by an employer could create delays in the process. So, when a company is hoping for a speedy resolution of an employment immigration matter, it can be critical for it to understand what options it might have for speeding the process up and how to avoid missteps that could slow the process down. Businesses can seek out advice from skilled immigration lawyers on what can be done to try to keep employment immigration matters smooth and speedy.

Challenges of H-1B petitions up this year

Among the immigration matters that might come up for U.S. businesses in their efforts towards their workforce goals are H-1B visa matters. H-1B visas are a type of temporary U.S. work visa that employers can seek out for specialty workers from other countries.

Petitioning for an H-1B visa for a prospective hire is a complex process. Additionally, there are certain things that could create added difficulties for a business when it comes to this process. So, a business may want an immigration attorney’s help and guidance throughout the process of pursuing an H-1B visa for a foreign worker it wants to bring onto its staff.

Talent acquisition concerns can come up over work visa challenges

Acquiring the right talent can be critical for a business. Among the things that could pose challenges for U.S. companies when it comes to such acquisition are problems with procuring work visas. Such problems could make it much harder to bring in foreign talent to meet a company’s unique needs.

It appears that worries over work visa challenges creating talent acquisition problems may be rather common in the U.S. business community these days. According to a recent report, significant concerns about work visa shortages creating talent acquisition difficulties are something around 80 percent of large employers have.

California No. 1 in the U.S. in DACA recipients

Whether a given immigrant would be able to legally work in the U.S. depends on many things. This includes what particular U.S. immigration programs they receive benefits through. The various visa and other immigration programs here in the U.S. vary in whether work permits are among the benefits immigrants can receive under them.

When working in the U.S. is a big goal for an immigrant, it is important for them to understand what the immigration options they are considering would mean for their eligibility for a work permit. Work permit issues are among the important issues skilled attorneys can provide immigrants with guidance on and assistance with.

Ukrainian boxer prevails in U.S. asylum case

Sometimes, a person no longer feels safe in their home country due to persecution they are facing. Some such individuals may look to the U.S. as a place to escape from such dangers. Seeking asylum in the U.S. may be an option for individuals who have faced certain types of persecution in their home country.

Recently, a Ukrainian boxer prevailed in his asylum case here in the United States. In the past, the man was a member of the national boxing team for Ukraine. The man sought asylum after being kidnapped and beaten in Ukraine by an ultra-nationalist militia group. The man says he was subjected to violence by the group due to where he was born, Crimea. Last month, the man won in the case regarding his asylum request.

103-year-old gains U.S. citizenship

There are many individuals who desire to someday be a U.S. citizen. They vary greatly in their circumstances. This includes in their age. Recently, here in California, a 103-year-old woman achieved her dream of becoming a U.S. citizen.

The woman is from Cambodia. Having long wished to come to the U.S., she was finally able to come into the country when she was around 97. She came to America to join family members.

Report: Salaries up among H-1B workers

Some specialty workers from foreign countries work in the U.S. on an H-1B visa, a temporary work visa. Many things can have impacts on such workers. This includes what salary they receive. Their work salary can have major financial implications for an H-1B worker. Such implications, in turn, can have major impacts regarding a worker’s long-term goals.

A recent Pew Research Center analysis of federal data indicates that, over the past decade, there has been an upward trend in the salaries of H-1B workers. It is estimated that, in fiscal year 2007, the median salary companies planned on paying H-1B workers (according to applications) was a little under $70,000. According to estimates, by fiscal year 2016, this median salary had risen to $80,000.

  • American Immigration Lawyers Association
  • State Bar of California | California Board of Legal Specialization
  • Avvo
  • Orange County Bar Association
  • Irvine Chamber